TAX WEALTH FOR THE COMMON GOOD- Help us spread the word
Monday 21 November 2011, 06pm
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS AND SUPPORT
Our Petition is now at 1500 signatures as at 10am Monday 21st.
Please help us spread to word to increase our total and put the pressure on the Governement as Budget 2012 draws near.
The wealthy can afford to give more. Tax wealth for the common good. In less than 3 weeks the government will announce the budget for 2012.
We all know that our economy is in a crisis and that struggling families are stretched to the limit. At this time we really need those who can afford it to give more. All the indications are that low and average income households are facing increased charges and cuts in benefits/supports. Reports over the weekend suggest that Child Benefit may be targetted.
Meanwhile financial wealth is on the increase and becoming even more concentrated in the hands of a few. It does not have to be this way.
The government can tax wealth which will be less socially and economically damaging. It is the right choice. The Irish Times today reports that only 10 individuals out of almost 6000 who are domiciled here but declare themselves non-resident for tax purposes paid the 'tax exiles' levy which raised the modest total of 1.48 million euro. We need to tax wealth and share the burden on society for us all to come through the current economic crisis.
Tax options could include:
1. A levy on assets and property worth over €1 million
2. High net worth Irish citizens paying their dues here so that the number of tax exiles
3. Eliminating tax breaks for those with high incomes so that they pay their fair share
4. A levy on financial transactions (Tobin Tax)
5. A higher tax rate on incomes over €100k
comments powered by
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
It is time to draw the line. Across the world moves are being made to ensure that those
with the most take their fair share of the burden. One way to have your voice heard is
to sign the petition. This calls on TDs and Senators to vote for Budget 2012 ONLY if it
includes increasing taxation on wealth. So far over 1500 people has signed up to our
petition online. Thank you! Please help us reach our goal.
1. Sign the petition on www.claimingourfuture.ie where you will also find information and
facts about wealth and taxation
2. Volunteer to leaflet DART and Train stations this week in Dublin City Centre- ring Richie
086 360 2224 if you're available ie. Tara, Connolly and Pearse Stations in the mornings
(7.30am-9am) Connolly, Hueston and Busaras on Thursday and Friday evening 4pm-6pm)
3. Please share our petition website www.claimingourfuture.ie on Facebook and Twitter
- become a fan and follow us if you tweet!